Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Every fraction counts...



As he climbed into bed with me this morning, the first words Daniel uttered today were, "Mom! I turned five and a half!"

He'd been looking forward to this day for six months. The day after he turned 5 he started announcing that he was five and a half, and I had to explain to him that he's have to wait six months before he could claim that distinction. And we all know that six months in the life of a child is a hundred times longer than it is for us old folks.

So, Dan enjoyed every moment of the day. He proudly announced his new status to all of his friends, and he announced to me that since it was his "five and a half birthday" he could, "do whatever I want all day!"

Not so fast, buddy.

True, he got what he wanted for breakfast, lunch and dinner. True, he got to choose his activity for after school (come home and play his "Wii" (which is actually a V-Tech system).

But he doesn't get to talk to me disrespectfully, which he realized would get him banished to his room even while protesting that I could not give him a consequence on his five and a half birthday.

Oh, yes I can.

When Pete and I suggested that perhaps five and a half year-old boys didn't whine when their pizza was too hot, Daniel told us that he didn't actually turn five and a half until after he finished his pizza.

Well, that explains it.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Happy half Bday Dan! Listen to your mom and dad, they make sense... and once you figure that out will you share that bit of wisdom with Emma? :)

Anonymous said...

Emma says happy 1/2 birthday Daniel! We hope this year we can celebrate six with you!