Thursday, November 08, 2007

Four years ago today...

 
Posted by Picasa


On this date 4 years ago I took my first ever pregnancy test.

I wasn't going to drive myself crazy testing every day, so I decided to wait until I was 5 days late.

I couldn't sleep, so I got out of bed at 6 am to test. Pete was still sleeping. I saw that line, and though it wasn't especially dark it was definitely there.

I sat there for a few minutes, a huge smile on my face and tears in my eyes. I wanted to come up with a special way to tell Pete. I took a shower and left the house, Pete still sleeping.

I went to the flea market and had a baby bib embroidered with, "I'm a Petelet!" Then I went to Barnes and Noble and got books for him about being a Dad, and for me about pregnancy.

I really enjoyed that morning, driving around with the secret knowledge of my baby growing inside me. Just the two of us.

When I got home I handed him the bib and he said something along the lines of, "Oh, cute." I said, "Honey, I'm pregnant." He did not believe me.

I went and got the test stick. "Look," I said, "The test was positive. I am pregnant." He said, "Okay, okay. We'll see. We'll see what the doctor says."

"Honey," I insist, " I am pregnant. These tests are 99% accurate. I'm pregnant. You're going to be a father. We are having a baby."

A slow grin spread across his face.

I still don't think he really believed until I went to the doctor the next week.

And the journey began...

4 comments:

Kate said...

A lovely post and a lovelier photo.

Unknown said...

:heart: What a lovely memory!

Valerie said...

Yay, what a great memory! Mine was on November 1st!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful photo of Mommy and son, and what a sweet story! :)