Conversation a few months ago:
Dan, what do you want to be for Halloween?
I want to be a zombie!
Okay, how do you propose we do that when you won't wear makeup or a mask?
Crickets...
A few weeks later:
Dan, what do you want to be for Halloween?
I want to be a zombie!
Okay, how do you propose we do that when you won't wear makeup or a mask?
Crickets...
That particular conversation happened several times. I occasionally would suggest something else, and it was repeatedly rejected. Sometimes loudly.
He has never wanted to wear face paint, tattoos or masks. He runs away from face painters at birthday parties and such, wouldn't even put a Thomas the Train tattoo on his arm when we went to Day Out with Thomas, would not even allow his face to be marked with paint as part of crossing over from a Cub Scout Tiger to a Cub Scout Wolf...
We would go to Target and look at the costumes for sale, and he might
say he liked one. But when I pointed out that he'd have to wear a mask
he always backed down.
Then, last week, I told him he'd have to make a decision. He till insisted he wanted to be a zombie. He really wanted to be something scary this year. So I looked in my Halloween bin and found a faceless mask that would be loose-fitting, and convinced him to put it on. Then we shredded some old clothes and voila! A zombie!
He wore it in his Halloween parade, and the kids all had a great time...
After all was said and done, Dan asked to wear a store-bought costume next year. I don't think he loved this costume, and neither did I. It was just okay. Now that he's wearing masks (even for a short time), and since he's getting older, he will have more options. I'm curious to see what he will choose next time...


No comments:
Post a Comment