Thursday, December 28, 2006

A monument to beauty....




















When I was younger I had little interest in pretty places. It's not that I didn't appreciate their beauty, but given the choice to go somewhere fun (like an amusement park or a party), or somewhere pretty (like a park or to watch the sunset) I would always choose fun.

As I got older that started to change. And that change just happened to coincide with spending more time with Pete. We would spend 4 hours in the car to catch a 20 minute sunset on Sanibel Island, plan a trip to North Florida mostly to go to North Florida's Saint Mark's Wildlife Preserve (also where he proposed), or eschew the shorter Turnpike route to Bok Tower Gardens so we can meander up Highway 27, where little has changed since the 1960's. When Pete & I were dating we'd pack a picnic lunch and make the drive. Once there we'd walk through the gardens, feed peanuts to the squirrels and then sit under the tree canopy for hours in the shadow of that incredible tower, listening to the beautiful bells of the Carillon. Romantic, huh?

We made that trek across US Highway 27 yesterday, all the way to Bok Tower. This time we had Daniel with us. And my new camera. Which Pete hogged most of the day. They don't let you feed the squirrels anymore, which with Daniel's history with that particular rodent was just fine with me.

It was wonderful.

If you'd like to see more pictures, check out the whole album.

4 comments:

Brandee said...

Wendy, these are really beautiful. Looks like an amazing day for your family.

Anonymous said...

It is truly lovely to share such family moments! :heart:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures!! :)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful place! I love the picture of Pete and Dan just taking a rest.