










I love my Menorah. I bought it a several years ago at Bombay (one of my favorite stores, if my dining room set, my sideboard, my bookcase and various home decor items are any indication). Every year I look forward to lighting it, though I do NOT look forward to cleaning the excess wax out of the teeny weeny candle holders.
Well, I have no idea where my Menorah is. I'm hoping it's somewhere in the attic, in one of the boxes of holiday decorations Pete and I agreed would stay in the attic this year. So I put out the Hannukah plate, and I put my Dreydl gumby on the Christmas Tree. Next year I will be a much better Jew, as I want Daniel to learn and enjoy all of the traditions. Meanwhile he did enjoy watching Mommy spin the Dreydl, and I read him the story of Hanukkah.
Every year my mother-in-law has a huge Christmas party. She invites family and friends, neighbors and children. Lots of children. And every year Santa stops in for a visit, eager to hear the nice and naughty things each child has done. The children sit on his knee, and he gives them all a gift to tide them over until the Big Day.
Daniel was NOT happy sitting in Santa's lap. He immediately reached for Daddy. The video is dark, but still pretty cute.
Christmas Eve was spent at Susie's house, where lots of yummy food was eaten, and we exchanged gifts with all the extended family. Pete & I made almost 30 full sized banana breads, plus dozens of cookies. It was fun, but I really don't want to see another banana for awhile...
When we woke up the next morning Pete went downstairs first so he could catch the morning on video. The first thing Daniel saw was his new bicycle, and it was awhile before we could tear him away to commence the gift opening. We all had a wonderful time, and received fantastic gifts. Of particular note was my new camera - The Canon Digital Rebel XTi (we went from the XT to the XTi after a particularly generous Christmas Bonus for Pete, thank you Green Advertising!), and a copy of the book Native Girl, autographed (with a note to me!) by the author, Carl Hiassen (one of my favorites!), Daniel's Thomas the Train layout (courtesy of cousins Trish, Don & Evan) and Pete's Schoolhouse Rock and Superman DVD's.
We went over to my mother-in-law's for a wonderful brunch and more gift opening. Daniel is now the proud owner of three Elmos, and was on the receiving end of an abundance of generosity and love, as were Pete & I. My Mom was especially thrilled to hear that my mother-in-law gave me a Mah Jhongg set of my very own.
After an afternoon at home, the highlight of which was Daniel's frustration over riding a bicycile for the first time (and skipping dinner), we went to a dessert gathering at Pete's aunt and uncle's, topped off by dinner at Denny's. On Christmas Day. So, not only did we have dessert before dinner, we had Christmas dinner at Denny's.
It was a holiday season to remember.

4 comments:
Ahhhh... great family times, wonderful memories and beautiful pictures as always! :heartDaniel:
Great pictures! Sounds like your family had a wonderful holiday! I hope you find your menorah by next year! Hugs,
Christine
I bought a new Menorah for 75% off at the After-Hannukkah clearance sale. My ancestors would be proud.
Wonderful, wonderful pictures!!!
Post a Comment