Thursday, February 21, 2008

Rainy Days and Trains...



We had no plans today. No shopping that needed to be done, no playdates at the park. It was the kind of dreary, rainy day that made me want to curl up on the couch and watch chick flicks. We didn't do that, of course.

I did need to mail Aunt Ami's birthday card, so we got into the car and went to the post office. Afterwards we really had nothing to do, and as we were discussing our options I passed the train station.

Now there's nothing either of my boys like better than trains. So I did a U-turn and pulled into the parking lot just as the heavens opened and G-d started crying a river of water.

Dan & I sat in the car and listened to the rain drumming down on the roof. He got a big kick out of shutting off the wipers and letting the water pour down the windshield, transforming the train depot into an impressionistic blur.

We got to see three trains, and chatted with a young man making his first ever train trip. Dan was proud to say he'd already been on a train, and he wanted to go with the man. Mom said a very resounding No.

We saw three trains before we left and went to the library to look for the "train movie" (Polar Express). We were unlucky finding train movies, but did come home with Toy Story, Curious George and another great memory.

 

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The simple pleasures in life are great... as are days with no plans that end up with sweet memories. :)

Valerie said...

I love that you turned a dreary day into a fun outting for Daniel! Yay for train stations!