Saturday, November 22, 2008

Not Exactly the He-Man Women Haters Club...

 
Posted by Picasa



Today Pete and Daniel went on a boys-only road trip. They grabbed a cooler and some snacks, picked up cousin Evan and Don, filled the tank with gas and headed up US 27 to Lake Okeechobee. Just to see it. Just for the day. I even let them take my camera. Shocking!

Pete likes to take US 27 every chance he gets because the route along that road is largely unchanged from the day he first ventured that way in the late sixties, early seventies. It's lots of farmland and marsh, and small towns with single-screen theaters, dusty streets and empty storefronts in various states of disrepair. He feels like he's thrust backwards in time, and he revels in the beauty of the scenery, the memories he relives, and the music he chooses to narrate the journey.

At Lake Okeechobee they climbed up onto the dike and enjoyed the view...

 

 



 
Posted by Picasa


On the way back they decided to stop at one of the local tourist traps...

 


They saw lots of animals...

 
Posted by Picasa


Some of them apparently in love...


 

 


Look at the gorgeous colors on this peacock....

 

 
Posted by Picasa


Of course there were gators...

 

 
Posted by Picasa



Daniel stayed a safe distance away....

 


...when Evan held the baby Gator.


 
Posted by Picasa


 


They had a great time, and I missed them. I missed them when I lingered over breakfast, when I went to my Dad's and sat looking at the ocean and skimming a book, I missed them while I went Christmas shopping, and I missed them as I lingered over a yummy lunch at an International Market.

Everyone had a good day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like they had a great time!

Kim said...

Looks like they had a fun filled day!


Happy Thanksgiving!