Last night I put a five year-old to sleep. He was wearing a shirt that he got at five, and reading a book he's loved since he's four. It was bittersweet, saying goodnight for him last sleep as a five year-old...
And when he woke up the next morning as a six year-old, he seemed so different, yet so much the same.
He saw the present we'd left under the Christmas-in-July tree, but left it alone and came to wake me up first.
Nothing puts a smile on his face the way a Thomas train does...
A special birthday breakfast rounded out the morning...
Before we headed to the water park. Where we saw a lot more smiles...
Sammi enjoyed dumping water on the other kids...
Daniel enjoyed making faces...
And the lazy river...
We ended the water park adventure with ice cream, of course...
And when we got home, they ended up back in the water. But not the pool...
That evening we went to Daniel's favorite restaurant for dinner.
We'd gone to the italian bakery earlier, and Dan chose a special birthday treat...
Right before bed we gave Daniel his final gift of the day...
Daddy liked it so much he tried to take it away...
Dan won.
And I put him to bed, clutching the still-closed Toy Story Lego set.
And after I kissed him goodnight I said, "I'm so glad that I have a six year-old boy."
And he said, "I'm so glad I have a 45 year-old Mom."
And I said, "And I'm gladder that YOU'RE my six year-old boy."
And he said, "And I'm gladder that YOU'RE my 45 year-old Mom. Is gladder a word?"
Happy, happy birthday to the most wonderful boy in the whole wide universal world!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




















No comments:
Post a Comment