Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Not a ghost of a chance...

 


Celebrating Halloween with my child has always been one of the aspects of parenting that I looked forward to most. Over the years I have taken great pleasure in making costumes for Dan that were cute and clever and wowed the masses. My favorites are the train, the garbage can, and the bake sale. As you can see, I'm great with a box. The costumes were usually his idea. I admit, though, that the bake sale was my idea, but he loved jumped right on board.

Dan has reached the age, though, where he wants to be what he wants to be. It was hard for me to agree to let him be something I felt was uninspired, but I recognized that of course he should be what HE wants to be.

Choosing a costume did prove to be more difficult than anticipated. First he wanted to be a policeman. He soon dismissed that idea and decided to be a zombie, then a zombie skeleton. The zombie skeleton idea seemed to stick, so I began to plan ways to make the costume. When he fell in love with one he saw at Target, I let go of my dreams of a homemade costume and bought him the one he coveted.

We ran into a problem, though. Dan does not want to wear a mask, and he refuses to wear make-up. I bought him a few different masks to try, even cut larger eye holes to make them more comfortable, but the boy just will not wear them.

So, back to the store with the zombie skeleton costume. Sigh.

Dan finally settled on being a ghost. I must admit to being pleased, as being a ghost is one of only 2 costumes I recall wearing in my own childhood. I took a sheet, cut eye holes, sewed a few stitches to make "sleeves" in an attempt to keep the sheet from moving around too much, and voila!

 


 


 



He lasted about six minutes in the costume. He wound up being much happier holding the class sign in the parade.

 


He also adored every party of the Halloween celebration...

 
Posted by Picasa


 

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa


 

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa

 

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa


Me, too.

No comments: