Dan asked all week to go to the beach. This was a bit unusual. Not that Dan doesn't like the beach - he does. But he's usually just as happy to play in the pool.
\\
This week, though, he asked every day. Me? I love the beach. But not so much during hot and bright days in the spring and summer, when the blazing sun saps Every. Bit. Of. Energy. You. Possess. Give me twilight or moonlight, a cool breeze and the crash of waves and I'm golden...
Nevertheless I relented. I told him to get his swimsuit, but he told me he didn't need it - he only wanted to play in the quicksand...
See, my boy has a great interest in quicksand. He reads about it, watches YouTube videos about it, pretends to be sinking in quicksand in his bed, in my bed, on the family room floor, in the pool...just about anywhere will do.
And after watching a video some kids made on YouTube, he's even talked me into buying corn meal to make quicksand at home. We've not actually done it yet...
Oh, suuuuuure. He could go to the beach in regular clothes and "just" play in the sand.
So, off we headed to the beach - Dan in his swimsuit...
Dan pretended to be sinking in quicksand. I took photos...
Lots of photos...
With a subject like this, it's hard to stop...
But then I did...
Stop, I mean. I put the camera down...
And I played with my son.
We sank in quicksand...
We played in the water...
We discussed what to do if you get caught in an undertow...
We got water up our nose as we rode the waves...
We wrapped our arms around each other and bobbed in the surf...
We chatted, and we giggled...
At one point I said to Daniel, "You know, buddy, Daddy & I try really hard to be good parents to you..."
And he kissed me on the nose and said, "Mommy, you don't have to try..."
The sunburn on my back? So worth it...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment