Thursday, April 09, 2009

There's more than one kind of yellow...

 
Posted by Picasa


A few years ago while visiting my sister and her family I attended my nephew's karate class. Ever since that day I decided that when I had kids they would participate in classes, too. Why?

They teach independence. Self-defense. Respect for self and others. Discipline. Strength. Spirit. Yessiree! My child was going to participate.

Dan started class about 6 months ago. We've discovered that he has been unlucky enough to inherit my athletic ability, which is somewhere between Jabba the Hut's and someone really, really not athletic.

Nevertheless he has improved over the past six months, both in his focus during class and his performance of the kicks, punches and balancing moves.

But.

He doesn't like it. He complains about going almost every time - and he attends twice per week. I think that's partially due to the outfit he must wear, which is bulky and uncomfortable for him. He's much happier to attend on Saturdays, when he's allowed to wear a T-shirt, and when Pete can sometimes take him. But still, he never says anything approaching, "I love karate!" Heck, I'd settle for "I like karate!"

And it's not cheap. Not even close to cheap.

Each time Dan protests I respond by pointing out how happy he seems while there. But this kid is really happy most of the time. And most of his smiles at the dojo come while running laps or when he catches my eye - not while learning a new move or sparring with a partner.

I've got no problem with encouraging him to do what I know is in his best interest. But I don't want to force him to do an activity that he doesn't enjoy, no matter what the benefit. After all, karate isn't the only place he can learn independence, self-defense, respect for self and others, discipline, strength and spirit.

Our contract runs out this month, and we're moving too far away from this dojo to keep attending, though they've already encouraged us to start attending an affiliated school that is a bit closer.

I think what we'll do is take the summer off, and see what we see in the fall.

Meanwhile, today Dan got his high yellow belt. As opposed to his low yellow belt, which he got a few months ago.


There's my little man. He looks great in yellow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:) Yay for yellow!