Saturday, April 05, 2008

Fear Conquered, Cupcake Eaten

March is a huge birthday month in our family. Between my family and Pete's family there are eight, so Dan got to attend lots and lots of parties. And eat lots and lots of birthday cake.

Daniel's friend Andrew turns four this month, and ever since we received the invitation to Andrew's birthday party Daniel keeps telling me his birthday is in April, too. When I remind him that his is in July he gets upset.

The boy really loves cake.

So, he'd really been looking forward to Andrew's party (and Andrew's cake). I'd had a long day already, so I was not in the best of spirits when we arrived, fifteen minutes late, at the gym.

Dan spent a few minutes checking out the area, then went looking for Andrew and wished him a happy birthday. It was so cute. Then he set about exploring some more.

There was an elaborate slide system with a foam pit underneath. Dan has encountered foam pits before but has always refused to play in one.

 


Today he sat on the edge...

 


And it all became too much. He climbed the rope ladder...

 


He was afraid to go down alone...

 


So one of the staff went with him...

 
Posted by Picasa


And finally he conquered his fear and went down on his own...

 


I'm so proud of him!

 
Posted by Picasa



They played a game like musical chairs where you had to be on the mats when the music stopped. The kids just kept running and stopping, eventually, but were'nt really playing the game thr right way. Luckily the staff got over themsleves and just let the kids do it their way, and it was so much fun to watch.


 
Posted by Picasa


The kids had pizza...

 


And, just like last year, Dan was the last one eating...

 


After enjoying his cupcake...

 


 


And making some faces...

 



 
Posted by Picasa


Daniel gave Andrew a hug goodbye...

 
Posted by Picasa


and we were on our way.

I arrived stressed and angry, and I left happy and more in love with my little man than ever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so great how they can turn our moods around in an instant! :) Yay Daniel for conquering your fear of the foam pit!

Brandee said...

Sniff, sniff!!

Love this!