Saturday, August 22, 2009

Meet the Teacher...

 
Posted by Picasa


See that? That's Dan sitting in his Kindergarten classroom, shortly after meeting his teacher. See how he appears quiet? The split second this photo was taken is the only moment he was in that classroom that he wasn't talking.

Including as the teacher was reading to him.

Happily, Dan showed much more enthusiasm for his teacher and his classroom than he's been verbalizing at home. After reading the story the teacher let the kids play while she went over some of the paperwork, the daily routines and volunteering opportunities with us parents. I signed up for everything except teaching Spanish to the kids.

And Dan has already made a friend.

After we left the classroom it was on to the cafeteria, where school T-shirts could be purchased, the PTA can be joined and Mommy can over-commit some more. I'm already signed up to volunteer helping out the Kindergarteners in the cafeteria on Wednesday!

When we entered the cafeteria Dan ran into friends Marco and Ella, whose Mom was a little more flustered than I was - but only because as the Mom of twins she was visiting TWO classrooms, getting two sets of paperwork and signing up to volunteer all over the place!



 


The kids weren't stressed at all - they were just having fun.

 


They shared cookies and juice and cotton candy very well...

 


They made candy necklaces, too. No photos of that, though. Too busy dropping money around the cafeteria for those t-shirts, PTA membership for one (can YOU see Pete at a PTA meeting? Though he did offer to build something if they need it...which I will keep in mind...), and putting some money on Dan's cafeteria account so he can buy the occasional lunch, or get ice cream on Wednesdays...

 
Posted by Picasa


I had planned an afternoon of swimming and running a couple of errands, but after an hour in the tummel of that cafeteria we felt like we'd spent 8 hours at Chuck E. Cheese. So my friend and I went to her house and let the kids continue the tummel while we pored through the packets we got from the kids' teachers, trying to gear up for Monday.

And we laughed, because the Meet and Greet was more overwhelming to us than to any of our kids.

No comments: