Saturday, January 19, 2008

Mommymotional...

I have a big boy, officially.

 




Last night Daniel spent his last night in his crib. We'd converted it to the toddler bed just four months ago, but it was still really a crib - he could kust get in and out easily. We really had no plans to move him to a regular bed for awhile.

A funny thing happened in Connecticut. My nephew Adam gave Daniel his very cool slide bed. We schlepped it back to Florida on top of our Durango, and the plan was that we would use it in his new room when we get a house. Then Pete & I talked about the possibility of using it here (goodness knows when we'll move, after all!) and that we'd have to sell the crib, but really it was back-burnered because neither of us wanted to think about how we would arrange Dan's room with that huge bed and the other Full bed we have in there...

Well, plans change. Early this week Pete suggested we go to Sanibel Island to watch the sunset. It's something we occasionally did when we were dating, and we hadn't yet been there with Daniel. Great idea! Then I remembered that I had a carseat for a friend that lives on the West Coast of Florida (I'd gotten it super cheap and she asked me to save it for her). Her house is on the way to Sanibel, so we could drop it off. Great idea!

Wait. She's pregnant. She needs a crib. Hmmmm.... So after a couple of phone calls and some where-will-Dan-sleep-until-we-get-a-mattress and oh-crap-are-we-ready-for-this discussions, we all agreed yesterday that Dan's crib would be making the trip across Alligator Alley. Today.

So, after a conversation with Daniel that went like this...

Me: Dan, we'd like to take your bed to Emma's house so her new baby brother or sister can sleep in it...

Dan: No!!!!!

Me: Well, okay, but you can only have one bed. Would you rather have your bed or Adam's slide bed?

Dan: The slide bed!


...Everyone was on board.

Then, last night, I started getting all Mommymotional. This was the last time he was sleeping in his crib, after all. So I of course pulled out my camera and took pictures. Not great ones, because he was sleeping with his bum in the air, but ones that will mean something to me forever.

 


So, we made the trip to their house, and we were enthusiastically greeted by sweet Emma and her parents (see the next two posts for some very cute pictures of the kids and Sunset at Sanibel!). And even though the crib isn't Daniel's anymore, I'm happy that the child of a friend will lay his or her sweet cheeks down on the mattress every night. At least until the time when my friend goes through those same Mommymotional moments I did when her baby outgrows it, and she must let it go.

 
Posted by Picasa


But before I go to bed, here are a few from before. When he was a baby.

 
Posted by Picasa


 
Posted by Picasa


Whatever. He'll always be my baby. Yeah. Sniff.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay... seriously... :sniff: :sniff: I hope Dan loves his new bed very much and make sure to tell him that we promise to take very good care of his crib.

Anonymous said...

I love little baby Dan! And your word, "Mommymotional," is excellent. Very appropriate. How sweet of Dan to pass his crib on to a future friend. He's a good guy.

Unknown said...

Oh wow, hugs to mommy and daddy for an emotional day. and high five to Daniel for the cool new bed!

Anonymous said...

He's beautiful! And I remember when my first baby moved to his slide bed. It made me cry. Only another six months or so before the next one moves into his 'grown up'bed too. I'll have to start taking photos now.... :-)
I hope Dan loves his new bed.