Saturday, March 08, 2008

He writes!

 
Posted by Picasa



I often start to worry about something that Daniel is not yet doing. He was 14 months and not yet walking, he was two and not yet talking, etc.

I usually keep it to myself for awhile, but eventually I'll assume it's not just me worrying and think that something needs to be done. I'll discuss it with a few friends, a teacher, his doctor. "Should I be doing something to help?", I ask.

And every time I do that, he almost immediately starts doing whatever it is I've been worried about, even if I've done nothing different.

So, it's happened again. I've been worrying that Dan won't write or draw. He always wants me to draw a train, me to draw a toilet.

Until last week the only thing Dan had drawn were a few lines, a few circles, a few A's. Then last week he started wanting me to write numbers. We did that for a few days, and then he started drawing them himself!

I was excited and proud, but still worried that he wouldn't write letters. He refused completely.

Until today.

Today he sat next to me while I wrote a post for my other blog, and he started playing with his Magnadoodle. I heard him spelling his name, and when I looked over he had already written "dan". I was shocked! As I watched and encouraged he wrote out the rest of his name. By himself. With no help.

 


Huh.

Wonder what I'll worry about next...


 
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice work! esp for his first time. seriously. charlotte's first attempts at her name were completely illegible. still not as legible as 'daniel' is written there.

He must be the kind of person who studies studies studies until he has it figured out and then presto - he's got it!

Anonymous said...

:clap: Good job Dan! Way to write and keep your Mom on her toes. ;)

Kate said...

Isn't that just the coolest thing ever?? Jacob did the same thing, with walking and talking and writing... no signs of readiness, running a little late on the timeline, and then BAM out with a finished product.

Emily is a trial-and-error kind of gal; Jacob likes to observe and think things through. He has fewer bruises.

Kate said...

P.S. It seems to me that now would be the perfect time to start worrying and complaining about how Dan never makes you brownies. Just sayin'...

Brandee said...

Yay Daniel!!! :clapclapclap:

You deserve to be one proud mama!