Sunday, October 04, 2009

The Chandler Smile...

If you are a fan of the TV show Friends, I'm sure you remember the episode where Monica and Chandler are getting their engagement photos taken, and the hilarity that ensued for all of us (except Monica) when Chandler's sweet smile turned into a garish snarl reminiscent of Munch's The Scream:

 
Posted by Picasa


Like Chandler's self-consciousness, Daniel's lack of awareness has morphed into a bit of self-consciousness in front of the camera. Which, as my kid, is a place he often finds himself. Although I prefer candid photos, there are times I'd like him to look at me and smile. That is not nearly as easy as it used to be.

Now instead of a nice bright smile, I get something forced. And that's when I get any kind of a smile at all.

 


All I usually get are facial contortions, no eye contact and lots of silliness. I am a huge fan of silliness, but I miss that great smile.

 
Posted by Picasa


So what I do now is try to make him laugh, which is really no chore at all. In fact, hearing his laughter is what makes my heart smile most.

 

 
Posted by Picasa


I'm sure the super dee-duper smiles will be caught on camera once more. I'll capture them when I can. And in the meantime, I will have evidence of the carefree silliness inherent in his five year-oldedness, something that will all-too-soon be replaced by teenage self-consciousness and, probably, a demand that I never, ever take his photo again.

No comments: